This year our SPA School Board formed different committees to improve our school. I am honored to be the Chair of our Mission Effectiveness Committee. The committees’ purpose is to ensure publically and internally that our school maintains and enhances its Catholic Identity.
I know that sending your child(ren) to a Catholic School is a sacrifice, and I along with Father Peter, the faculty and staff, and our Committee members want to ensure that our School is grounded by our Catholic Faith. With all that is happening in our world right now we are blessed to pray and teach about our heavenly Father in school. It is very important that parents and teachers assume responsibility to instill a strong Catholic identity in our children. In fact, our faith teaches that the home is the “domestic church” where parents are the first and primary educators of our children. Our committee is committed to ensure that our teachers and parents have the resources for our Children to grow in their ability to “know him, to love him and to serve him” in both their knowledge and their actions.
Below are some actions we believe will contribute to the development of our children (and all of us as well). Please note the dates that you may want to mark on your calendars:
- Each Thursday at 8:00 am (beginning Dec.7th) we will be leading a rosary before our 8:30 am mass. Drop your kiddos off and say a rosary with other parents before we worship together at our Children’s Mass!
- Advent: To help prepare us for Jesus’ coming we have ordered a booklet for our Junior High students and a series of Bulletins for our K-5 students. We are excited that these books will help your children understand the true meaning of Christmas.
- The students will gather together every Monday morning to light the Advent Wreath and participate in prayer
- Help us fill Jesus’ manger by doing good deeds: After Thanksgiving you will notice a nativity scene in the entrance of School. During advent the Children have the opportunity to fill the manger with hay (yellow strips of paper) by doing good deeds. If your child is caught doing something that displays them as a servant of God they will add a strip of paper with their name and good deed on it to Jesus’ bed. Please encourage your children to help fill the manger!
- December 20th (All School Confession and Adoration) – In preparation of Jesus’ coming we want to purify our hearts and minds. Join your children on December 20th for confession and adoration. Each class will have a different time frame. Watch the Halls for more details.
- December 24th (5:00pm) – Christmas Eve Children’s Mass (the Nativity will begin at 4:45pm). Not attending the Children’s Mass? Consider joining us for a 10:00pm mass, commonly known as “Midnight Mass,” with its own readings and liturgy different from other Christmas Masses, celebrated during the very night when we commemorate Our Savior’s birth. Christmas Day Masse will be held at 10:00am.
- Please consider volunteering to host coffee and donuts after our weekend masses. This a great way to teach your children about Stewardship! Use the link below to sign up: http://www.signupgenius. com/go/805094aa8aa2ba64-stpaul
- February 10th – Join other St. Paul couples at the Cherish Marriage Event. Enjoy dinner and dancing while enriching your marriage. Use the link to register: https://cherishmarriage.net/about-the-evening/
(Mission Effectiveness Committee Chair)
SPA Roller Skating Party
Tuesday, November 21
Kentwood Fun Spot
14 52nd Street
Bring your family to a great afternoon at the Kentwood Fun Spot sponsored by Home & School
11:30am - 2pm
● Each student will get skates, 2.5 hours of skating, and a slice of pizza and fountain drink!
● Parents, please plan to stay and supervise your children.
● Parent skating and lunch is encouraged but not included.
● Rollerblades rentals are an extra $5 charge.
● Children, especially new skaters, are encouraged to bring and wear bike helmets while skating.
We know the Christmas Season is a very busy time for everyone. So, we are offering to help you with your shopping by using Scrip to purchase Christmas Gift Cards for our Staff. This is super and easy, and you can rest assured that your teacher will enjoy your gift as they will pick out which gift card(s) they would like.
Click here for the list of staff and form. All you need to do is fill out who you would like to give a gift to and how much. The amount you give will remain anonymous, we only ask for the family name so we can add it to the card so the staff knows which families gave to their gift card. Please return your list and check (made to St. Paul the Apostle) in a sealed envelope to your child’s teacher by December 8th. The rebates made from gift card purchases will go towards the Education Foundation.
If you have any questions please email me, Kara Potter, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember this is optional. If you choose to do something on your own, that is fine.
Don’t forget to RSVP for the Santa Parade by FRIDAY.
Click here to let us know that you’re coming.
Lacks Enterprises has invited St. Paul families to walk in the Santa Parade with their float (a 30 foot candy castle)! We’ll hand out candy, drink hot chocolate and represent our awesome school in the community.
The parade is Saturday, November 18 at 8:30 a.m.
Join us on Friday, November 10 at 7 p.m. for our annual Friends of St. Paul Trivia Night!
Mike Jacobs and Mike Marshall will be our emcees and lead us in an evening of fun and friendly competition.
Tickets are $15 in advance (parish or school office) or $20 at the door. Get your table of 8 together today!
BYO snacks/appetizers. Cash bar.
***NEW THIS YEAR***
Dress up and/or decorate your table with a theme. The winners get bragging rights and a table for next year’s event!
Picture retakes are tomorrow from 9:00-1:00 PM.
If your child is having retakes, they may wear picture clothes to school tomorrow and you will need to return your current photos/envelope. If they missed picture day, they may have pictures taken tomorrow for the first time.
If your child is in Preschool 4 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, you may bring them to school any time 9:00-1:00 PM.
Any questions, please call the school office 949-1690
Food Pantry Collection
St. Paul the Apostle School will be partnering with the Parish and will be taking up a collection of personal items for the Food Pantry.
Please bring in your items throughout the month of November. Student Council and the 8th grade class will be collecting and sorting the goods for the Parish.
Thanks in advance for your help!
- Preschool: Shampoo/Conditioner
- Kindergarten: Shampoo/Conditioner
- 1st Grade: Kleenex
- 2nd Grade: Toilet Paper
- 3rd Grade: Toothbrushes
- 4th Grade: Paper Towels
- 5th Grade: Bar Soap
- 6th Grade: Toothpaste
- 7th Grade: Cough/Cold Remedies
- 8th Grade: Cough Lozenges
Join us for our annual Trunk or Treat!
- Parking begins @ 5:30
- Treat or Treating @ 6
Don’t forget the car decorating contest! Our judges will be looking for the best dressed trunk and awarding prizes to our top three winners!
A few things to remember:
- The safety of the kids is our top priority. When pulling into the lot, please drive slowly and be aware of any little ones in the parking area. We will have volunteers to help you find a spot to park. Once you are parked, please have your children stay on the sidewalk or at the playground until we’ve got all cars parked and the lot blocked off.
- This is a school function on school property, please no smoking or alcohol on the premises.
- In case of inclement weather, we will cancel (no rain date). We will send a school-wide email in case of cancellation.